Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Making the most of the real world













These are just a few of the cameras that I saw swirling round above Euston station as I went to M&S for a terribly healthy bean-based salad. I watched them, they watched me, and we were for a fleeting few seconds blissfully aware of each other.

I'd never noticed them before. Indeed, since succumbing to the blogging bug I've noticed a lot more things. I feel far more aware - partly, no doubt, because I've made a little pact with myself that I'm going to create and broadcast something on a regular basis. I now make time to 'look around me' and capture moments.

So a relationship I ostensibly have with my screen and keyboard has made me appreciate real-life stuff more acutely.

My most splendid friend Silvia, a writer and observer of some considerable merit, told me of a similar experience when she kept a journal. She awoke one morning to hear a cracking sound and, after a while trying to fathom what it was, discovered it was the daffodil on her windowsill casting aside its papery husk to reveal a new yellow flower.

Whimsical, but kinda beautiful. And amazing what you notice when you're on sensory alert.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Nice post. You're quite good at this. And now I'm quietly seething with photo envy...

Unknown said...

It's true, I am most splendid.