Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bring me something that's not obvious



















So I'm out in Dubai on a fact-finding mission. Learning about man-made islands the size of Paris that have been built on the coast of the country in the searing heat. The largest ones ever built. Together they'll practically treble the population of this tiny Gulf Emirate in the next seven years.

Jeeeeeesus. Or, indeed, Allah.

I have to drive past the world's tallest tower to get to my client's offices. 

Then past the world's only 7-star hotel (ok, it's self-awarded).

Then past a socking great indoor ski-slope, boasting some species of dangerous run. Probably also a world first.

But today's most noticeable thing was the crowning glory of the Palm Jebel Ali island: a 'mini' island at the top of it in the shape of a big whale (see above picture). 

It's like something out of Vic and Bob, or the Mighty Boosh. 

An island in the shape of a whale. Yikes.

I'm not sure whether or not this eclipsed a series of mini pontoon islands around the edge of the same Palm island which, when viewed from the cruising height of a Boeing 747, together form stanzas from one of the Sheikh's own poems.

But what I do know is that I'm craving something subtle and worth pointing out. It's all so damn bling and obvious here that there's nothing really worth pointing out.

No comments: