Monday, January 26, 2009

United by devices


A few years back, when working at Whitewater in the In Memoriam fundraising department, we used to receive copies of journals as bizarrely titled as Funeral Directors Monthly and The Embalmer.
So I'm quite used to seeing niche publications and enjoy discovering those that somehow embrace a new (to me) and unknown corner of interest, industry or, quite possibly, obsession.

At my new job in healthcare marketing I'm exposed to all kinds of dark recesses of the pharmaceutical world, but I really didn't expect an old school friend - one Guy Furness - to be owner/publisher of a journal called On Drug Delivery. Yup, there's a title devoted to needles, syringes and the like - all the myriad ways in which you can stick drugs into yourself.

I like to think the Pete Doherty has a regular column.

In all seriousness, Guy and his team (comprising himself and a girl called Nicki Macadam, with whom we were also at school) write about the science of delivering pharmaceutically active ingredients to the required site in the body, in the right quantities, at the correct time and in the most effective and convenient manner.

And the coincidence is that this Wednesday I'm going to Zurich to present creative concepts to a client whose sole raison d'etre is to promote insulin and growth hormone delivery devices.

I'm looking forward to seeing Guy again. There should be loads to talk about...

No comments: