Monday, January 12, 2009

Bacon numbers











I'm liking the professional networking site 'Linked-In' more and more. For some I'm sure it's a useful way of tapping people for jobs, but I just like the nosiness that it affords. Unlike Facebook, you don't have to be friends with people to see what they're up to, and there are more and more people on it - and so I'm becoming nosier and nosier.

Way back when I was at university I heard about the phenomenon of 'Bacon numbers' and found it bizarre that anyone should have spent the time working out how different celebs are connected to people - least of all Kevin Bacon. Beyond the idle curiosity that underpins the 'Six Degrees of Separation', it seemed a piece of trivia that would be looked back on fondly - but have no real use.

But today as I was looking at various profiles on Linked-In, I saw that even Kevin Bacon now has his own profile. And I'm only removed from him by 3 degrees. He's even posted his Hotmail address on the site should I wish to drop him a line.

Suddenly, thanks to the power of the network, I can contact Kevin - or Kev as I now feel I can call him. He's using the same tools that we do to promote ourselves professionally. Social networking is absolutely perfect for him.

Not sure what I'll say to him yet, but it's nice to know he's not far away.

No comments: