Saturday, January 31, 2009

Google's ill




















I just googled something and every single search result told me that if I proceeded to the site then my computer would be at risk. In fact it didn't even LET me progress to a search result - I had to cut and paste the result into the URL bar.

It was a bizarre sense: Google broken? No, surely not. They're infallible. They rule the world. They're pioneers. 

And it was bloody ANNOYING that I couldn't get my information fix in the nanoseconds I'm used to.

Is it a virus? Has Google been infected and, if so, how safe are all the things I trust it to keep on my behalf? My emails, addresses, search history, my blog ... the list goes on.

The effect this has just had on me is disproportionate to the minor inconvenience that actually occurred. Perhaps we should try to wean ourselves off Google.

No comments: