Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dead bodies

I'm 'penning' this from my seat outside the Bell and Crown in Strand on the Green. I have a sunny riverscape in front of me and a screaming child in my right ear. When I ran past here earlier the police had cordoned off the bit of the river by Kew Bridge as they were fishing out a corpse from the Thames.

Lovely river though it is, it serves as a watery grave for a surprisingly large number of people. We'll frequently hear the revving of boat engines late at night near Kew Railway Bridge next to our flats: bodies get tangled up around the bottom of the bridge pillars and it's the job of the RNLI and river police to extract the bloated mess.

Just a few years back, several dozen skulls were discovered in the 'Strand' bit of the river here. No-one really has a convincing reason why they were buried.

A bit of sunshine and a few ciders and it's easy to overlook the quotidien tragedies that flow past us.

There's cheery for you.


-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: