Saturday, June 26, 2010

Why it's difficult to start a new book

The biggest problem I have when it comes to starting a new book is wanting to start it.

Yet that’s utterly illogical. I’ve either finished the last one, or I’m up for a new one. One must logically want to fill the void. It’s a natural sequence.

Everything about me says that starting a new book is wonderful, And the publisher notes just confirm this. But there is a reticence, as if I’ve not long been divorced.

Will I bring the characters of the last book into this one? What if I simply continue the plot line where it was not intended? Or perhaps I really miss the sexy one from the last novel and unintentionally project her onto someone whose authorial fortune was to be so very different?

I think I’ll wait a while.

Toy with a few first paragraphs.

See if we notice each other.

If it’s shit after 100 pages I’ll give up.

No-one will beat my last love.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You totally, totally said it. I feel paralyzed when I finish a good one, have to let go, and take a risk on the next one.